Pressure Vessel Endcaps

For the 2.017 robot’s pressure vessel, endcaps needed to be made. Sam, structures, had never made endcaps before so I volunteered to help out. Here are some pics from the process. It took the two of us two hours to make two endcaps. There’s still a lot to be done on the 2.017 robot. I haven’t mentioned it before but I’ll do a more thorough write-up on it soon. For now, endcaps!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Delrin stock on lathe.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Checking the clearance of the endcap into the pressure vessel tube. We made several passes (then tried to fit the tube) several times before getting it right.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

We put a chamfer on the edge using a file.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Here, the first o-ring groove is added to the endcap.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I’m pictured using the parting tool to create the groove.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Both grooves are finished! An o-ring is used to make sure the fit is right.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Two grooves with only one o-ring. The final endcap will feature two o-rings.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Parting the endcap off the piece of stock, creating a shoulder on the endcap.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Sam is holding the finished endcaps.

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Finished endcaps! Later, I’ll add holes for our waterproof connectors and some mounting holes for the internal pressure vessel structure. The internal structure will support the electronics and some small batteries (not our main batteries).

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s